- Oil cleansers: Everything you need to know about this innovation - January 5, 2022
- 8 ways to prevent skin problems from face mask - December 29, 2021
- Benefits of using Sodium Hyaluronate on Skin - December 22, 2021
Last Updated on August 30, 2021 by The Health Master
Why to prefer organic emulsifiers over traditional ones ?
A cream or an emulsion is made up of two broadly categorized ingredients – water based and oil based. So, in layman’s language creams are made up of oil and water. Water based ingredients like extracts, humectants, actives etc. penetrates the skin to provide additional benefits and hydration whereas oil based ingredients acts as a surface barrier that helps in protecting water loss from the skin.
But, as we all know that oil and water cannot be mixed, they will automatically separate even after vigorous mixing. Here comes the role of emulsifiers.
What are Emulsifiers?
Emulsifiers acts as a binding agent by emulsifying oil phase & water phase together. Emulsifiers contain an element called hydrophilic which is water loving and element called lipophilic element which is oil loving.
This means they are attracted to both oil and water, which allows them to bind the two together to form a stable emulsion that does not separate from each other.
Organic Certified emulsifiers
Many cosmetic creams & emulsions are made using many chemical or synthetic emulsifiers, but the good thing is that there are many natural emulsifiers out there too! There are many organic emulsifiers that are ECOCERT or COSMOS certified.
But, should one prefer creams or emulsions with organic certified emulsifiers in comparison to Traditional chemical based emulsifiers. Here are the benefits of using organic emulsifiers over synthetic ones.
Benefits of using Natural or Organic emulsifiers
Emulsifiers are widely used in all the cosmetics industries and are very important for many cosmetic formulas that blend and help to keep unlike ingredients together. Traditional type emulsifiers should be replaced by natural / organic emulsifiers because of the following benefits viz:
1. Contains Natural Ingredients
Natural emulsifiers are those which are derived from the fruit or oil without being processed or come after some chemical reactions. These type of emulsifiers, needs to be extracted, separated or processed out of plant oils & fats until they can be used to bind the 2 phases.
They are derived from natural organic raw material like coconut & palm. As they contain natural ingredients, they are globally accepted & liked.
2. Ecologically Sustainable
As these emulsifiers are naturally derived & are free from any harsh chemicals, it will help in preserving environment as they don’t contribute to any kind of pollution. They are readily biodegradable & do not cause any harm to our precious environment.
3. Mild for sensitive & delicate skin
As these emulsifiers are free from parabens, mineral oils, sulphate, pegs, petroleum, silicones, artificial fragrances and colours so they are mild on skin. They are really good for people with sensitive skin & even for delicate skin of babies and kids.
Due to their mildness & presence of natural ingredients, they don’t cause any inflammation or any kind of rash. They do not cause any kind of damage & breakout on the skin surface.
4. Stable Formulation
Organic or natural emulsifiers generally comes in combination of two or more emulsifying agents. This makes the emulsion stable and stay intact and homogeneous for a longer period of time. But, it should be formulated efficiently in the right proportion.
5. Makes the texture smooth and velvety
Due to presence of natural ingredients, they give very cushiony and velvety texture to the emulsions. This helps in better penetration of active ingredients in matured & aged skin. This makes the skin supple and smooth after application and keeps the skin nourished for longer hours.
So It’s a great ingredient in a cream or an emulsion like serum as it provides all the goodness with no chemicals or harsh ingredients. But there are few challenges to incorporate these flawless emulsifiers in our beauty products.
1. Organic and natural emulsifiers are some of the ingredients which are very trickiest to work with when you’re making clean, natural and organic skincare or haircare formulations. One needs to balance out various ingredients in order to get a stable emulsion, which is not a ‘Piece of Cake’.
2. They are very costly (almost 4 to 5 times the price) as compared to traditional emulsifiers. But it is wisely said: – ‘Good Things Comes With A Price’.
3. They are not easily available, especially in small quantities. So, it is difficult for small brands to procure it.
What to look in the label to find that emulsion / cream is made using Organic Certified Emulsifiers
1. Few common Organic Emulsifiers are – Cetearyl Alcohol and Cetearyl Glucoside, Glyceryl Stearate (and) Polyglyceryl-6 Palmitate / Succinate (and) Cetearyl alcohol, Cetearyl Olivate and Sorbitan Olivate, Cetearyl wheat straw glycosides and Cetearyl alcohol etc.
2. You can also find A leaf or organic marking on the label in front of the ingredient list.
3. Few brands also mention the use of organic emulsifiers on the labels. So, Lookout on the labels carefully.
In today’s world there are many skincare products that gives benefits to the skin. But, a wiser person chooses wisely for the benefit of skin & environment together. So, always buy a cream, serum or emulsion which is made using Organic Certified Emulsifiers.
“Consider the impact of your personal care choices on your skin, our earth and our wider environment.” – J. Runciman
By NIDHI GUDWANI
Author is CEO at SKINAYU ORGANICS
For informative videos by The Health Master, click on the below YouTube icon: