- Oil cleansers: Everything you need to know about this innovation - January 5, 2022
- 8 ways to prevent skin problems from face mask - December 29, 2021
- Benefits of using Sodium Hyaluronate on Skin - December 22, 2021
Last Updated on December 27, 2021 by The Health Master
Benefits of using Sodium Hyaluronate on Skin
What is Sodium Hyaluronate ? Is it same as Hyaluronic Acid ?
We often see Hyaluronic Acid & Sodium Hyaluronate on the labels of several skincare products. Let’s discuss them.
Hyaluronic Acid is a polysaccharide that is naturally found in our body in our joints & eyes because these parts can function smoothly only if they are fully moist & lubricated.
Hyaluronic Acid is also present in our skin cells and fibres to keep them fully hydrated & plump. It makes the skin look plumy and younger looking.
One molecule of Hyaluronic acid can hold upto 1000 times its weight of water.
Hyaluronic acid has a large molecular size due to which it does not penetrate into the skin. So, it is hydrolyzed with water to obtain hyaluronic acid with a smaller molecular size.
But there is one more way which has better result & efficacy to obtain hyaluronic acid in smaller molecular size. It is done by extracting sodium salt from it to obtain ‘Sodium Hyaluronate’.
Sodium hyaluronate is a water-soluble salt that is derived from hyaluronic acid. Sodium hyaluronate is extremely hydrating as it can penetrate deeper into the skin and form a more stable cosmetic formulation.
Sodium hyaluronate is an excellent humectant and it attracts moisture from the environment & the underlying layers of your skin to the epidermis to make skin plump & moist.
Why do we need to apply Hyaluronic acid topically even though it is naturally present in our body?
As we have discussed that hyaluronic acid is present in our body, we should also apply it externally in form of creams, serums or gels because-
1. As we age, the level of Hyaluronic Acid starts diminishing in our body & skin cells. Due to this skin becomes dehydrated, dull & dry.
2. Loss of water or moisture from our epidermis (thin outer layer of skin that is visible to our eyes) is a continuous process.
This is commonly known as Trans Epidermal Water loss (TEWL). This loss of water from the top layer of skin makes it prone to sagging & the skin start showing early signs of ageing. So, this loss of moisture needs to be replenished.
3. There are certain external factors like- Pollution, harmful Sunrays & Blue-light exposure that also depletes the level of hydration from our skin & disbalance the levels of Hyaluronic acid from the skin cells.
In the above cases, Sodium hyaluronate serves as a moisture reservoir in the skin cells & helps to regulate the water content and hydration levels in the epidermis as well as in deeper layers of the skin.
Benefits of Sodium Hyaluronate for Skin
The hydrating benefits of Sodium hyaluronate address a number of skin concerns that are caused by a lack of moisture in the skin.
Combats skin dryness:
It is an incredible humectant that pulls in water from the air and helps to retain and replenish moisture in the skin to keep it plump, hydrated and flake-free. It makes the skin look radiant & moist.
Repairs a compromised moisture barrier:
It restores and maintains a healthy barrier to prevent water loss from the epidermis (TEWL) that leads to the formation of skin sagging & fine lines.
Improves signs of aging:
Sodium hyaluronate works to replenish the lost hydration in the skin that causes due to depletion of hyaluronic acid with growing age. This added hydration reservoir smoothens the sagged texture created by fine lines and wrinkles.
Improves breakout-prone skin:
A dry, dehydrated & flaky skin is more prone to breakouts due to clogging of pores. Hydrated skin cells not only makes skin look healthy, but also prevent skin from oxidation & any kind of bacterial proliferation.
Plumps, smoothens & tones skin:
Sodium hyaluronate provides structure and volume to the skin by providing moisture & lubrication to the skin cells and fibres. It helps in binding water molecules in the skin layers that makes skin appear plump, smooth & toned.
Leaves a non-greasy glow:
Sodium hyaluronate is water soluble so it is added in water-based formulations only. It has a lightweight & non-sticky texture & feel that imparts a dewy finish without leaving a thick, greasy residue.
Ways to apply Sodium Hyaluronate topically:
Sodium hyaluronate can be applied to the skin topically through various skincare products like:
Gels, Serums, Hydrator creams, Face mists, Face wash, Night creams etc.
Points to consider while buying and using a Skincare Product with Sodium Hyaluronate:
1. Buy a product that has Low molecular Sodium hyaluronate with molecular size 50 k Daltons is considered best. It penetrates into deeper layers of skin & provides incredible moisturizing & anti-ageing benefits.
2. After applying any skincare with sodium hyaluronate, always seal the hydration by applying any cream or facial oil over it. This will prevent TEWL.
3. Buy a product that claims to have either of the following:
- Hydrolyzed Hyaluronic Acid
- Sodium Acetylated Hyaluronate
- Sodium Hyaluronate
4. Apply the SA product at least twice a day, specially during night as all the mending work of cells 7 tissues takes place during the sleep time.
5. Although sodium hyaluronate has several benefits to the skin, but it may cause irritations or allergic reactions. A patch test must be conducted before start using any new product on the skin.
“Take good care of your skin and hydrate it fully. If you have good skin, everything else will fall into place. ” – Liya Kebede
By NIDHI GUDWANI
Author is CEO at SKINAYU ORGANICS
For informative videos on consumer awareness, click on the below YouTube icon:
For informative videos by The Health Master, click on the below YouTube icon: