The illegal activities came to light during a routine inspection on October 15 when Byappanahalli police intercepted a suspicious vehicle connected to the female foeticide racket.
Subsequent questioning exposed the gang’s modus operandi, involving sex determination tests on pregnant women and the medical termination of female foetuses.
Background of the Illegal Operation
The illegal sex determination tests were reportedly conducted on pregnant women, and if the foetus was female, it was terminated.
Discovery and Police Action
The police commissioner emphasized the scale of the operation, describing it as a “big racket.”
Operation Scale and Duration
The shocking revelation included the disclosure that the gang had conducted a staggering 242 foeticides in just three months.
Investigations suggest that, over two years, the group may have terminated over 900 female foetuses, charging exorbitant fees for their illegal services.
Perpetrators and Their Roles
Location and Facilities
The foeticide clinic operated discreetly in a jaggery production unit in a remote Mandya village.
The facility was equipped with all the necessary tools to carry out the illegal procedures, evading the authorities’ attention.
Charges for sex determination tests ranged from Rs 20,000 to Rs 25,000, with an additional Rs 50,000 for terminating the pregnancy if the foetus was female.
The economic motivations behind the female foeticide Racket underscored the exploitation of vulnerable pregnant women.
Victims and Targeting
Brokers approached pregnant women, seeking their approval for sex determination tests. Upon consent, the women were brought to the ‘abortion facility,’ demonstrating a disturbing manipulation of vulnerable individuals.
The accused mainly hailed from Mysuru and Mandya districts, raising concerns about the reach and prevalence of such operations beyond the discovered Racket.
Despite the arrests, challenges persist as two brokers remain at large. The police are intensifying efforts to locate and apprehend these fugitives.
Jaggery Production Unit Connection
The surprising choice of location for the clandestine clinic raises questions about the extent of similar operations in unconventional settings.
The equipment found in the production unit underscores the sophistication of the illegal activities.
Suspected Total Female Foeticides
Estimates suggest that, over two years, the female foeticide Racket may have terminated over 900 female foetuses, emphasizing the scale and severity of their actions.
The female foeticide Racket exploited the vulnerable position of pregnant women, charging exorbitant fees for sex determination tests and terminations.
Public Reaction and Concerns
The revelation has sparked community outrage and concerns about the prevalence of such operations. It highlights the need for increased vigilance and regulatory measures to prevent similar activities.
Legal Consequences and Ongoing Inquiry
Arrests have been made, and the accused face charges related to illegal female foeticide. Ongoing inquiries by Lokayukta officials aim to comprehensively investigate and address the disturbing revelations.
Disclaimer: This article contains information derived from the source mentioned below. Our team utilized an AI language model to rewrite and present the news or article in a unique format.
- Q: How did the police discover the female foeticide Racket?
- A: The discovery was accidental, occurring during a routine inspection when Byappanahalli police intercepted a suspicious vehicle connected to the gang.
- Q: What were the roles of the arrested individuals?
- A: The arrested individuals included two doctors, lab technicians, brokers, a hospital manager, and a receptionist, illustrating the varied roles within the female foeticide Racket.
- Q: What charges do the accused face?
- A: The accused face charges related to illegal foeticide, highlighting the severity of their actions.
- Q: How did brokers approach potential victims?
- A: Brokers would approach pregnant women, seeking approval for sex determination tests. Upon consent, the women were brought to the ‘abortion facility.’
- Q: What measures are being taken to locate the remaining fugitive brokers?
- A: Law enforcement is intensifying efforts to locate and apprehend the two brokers who are still at large.
For informative videos by The Health Master, click on the below YouTube icon:
For informative videos on Medical Store / Pharmacy, click on the below YouTube icon:
For informative videos on the news regarding Pharma / Medical Devices / Cosmetics / Homoeopathy etc., click on the below YouTube icon:
For informative videos on consumer awareness, click on the below YouTube icon: