Last Updated on May 19, 2020 by The Health Master
6 paracetamol API mfrs to export half of monthly production: NPPA
The National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA) has given green signal to six major manufacturers to export 50 per cent of their monthly operating capacity of paracetamol active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) subject to release of similar quantity for domestic market.
The manufacturers– Farmson Pharmaceuticals, Meghmani LLP, Sri Krishna Pharmaceuticals, Granules India Ltd, Bharat Chemicals and Para Products Pvt Ltd–are required to submit an undertaking to Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) in this regard at the time of export.
The NPPA has requested the Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI) to ensure that the major manufacturers reserve/release the quantity equal to the export for domestic requirement. Accordingly, DCGI instructed drugs controllers in states and Union territories to ensure the compliance to said directions of NPPA in public interest in COVID-19 situation, by seeking and verifying regularly domestic and export supply data from these manufacturers.
The DCGI has asked state and Union territory drugs controllers to email details of action taken and report of compliance by manufacturer along with data in this regard on fortnightly basis (i.e. on 15th and 30th of every month on [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected] till NPPA’s subject order remains operational in light of COVID-19.
Monthly capacity of mfrs
- Hyderabad based Granules India Ltd has the capacity to manufacture paracetamol API of 1,800 tonnes monthly and 22,000 tonnes annually.
- Sri Krishna Pharmaceuticals, Hyderabad is one of the largest producers of paracetamol in India, with an installed capacity of 12,000 million tonnes per annum.
- With two state of the art dedicated manufacturing facilities for paracetamol API in Nandesari in Vadodara, Gujarat Farmson Pharmaceuticals has manufacturing capacity in excess of 25,000 metric tonnes annually.
- Situated at Dahej, Meghmani LLP has built up a manufacturing unit with a capacity of 7,500 metric tonnes of paracetamol per annum.
- Located at Korba, Chhatisgarh, Bharat Chemicals has a yearly production capacity of nearly 4,000 metric tonnes of paracetamol. Located in Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh Para Products Pvt Ltd has manufacturing capacity for 4,800 tonnes per annum of paracetamol API.
Earlier this month, the NPPA had allowed six manufacturers to export 2,000 metric tonnes of paracetamol API based on recommendation by the ministry of external affairs.