Last Updated on December 6, 2021 by The Health Master
Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare launched the Sixth Edition of National Formulary of India (NFI) 2021, published by the Indian Pharmacopoeia Commission (IPC) to promote rational use of medicines in the country.
The sixth edition of NFI 2021 has been drafted by adopting the principle ‘do not miss critical and do not overload’ the information by revising the appendices, chapters and drug monographs.
The following chapters were revised thoroughly by involving the subject-specific experts/specialists in the country:
- Antipyretics and Anti-inflammatory drugs,
- Antacids and Antiulcer Drugs,
- Antiallergics and Drugs Used in Anaphylaxis,
- Antidiarrhoeals and Laxatives,
- Antidotes and Substances Used in Poisoning,
- Antimigraine drugs,
- Basics of Medical Emergencies,
- Dermatological Drugs,
- Disease Modifying Anti-Rheumatic Drugs (DMARDs) and Drugs for Gout,
- Drugs in Osteoporosis,
- Drugs for Inflammatory Bowel Disease,
- Drugs for Respiratory Diseases,
- Ophthalmological Preparations and Psychotherapeutics Drugs.
The salient features of this edition are as follows:
- Thirty four therapeutic categories chapters including 591 drug monographs and 23 appendices have been included in this edition.
- The NFI is aligned with National Health Programmes and National List of Essential Medicines (NLEM).
- Important weblinks related to NLEM, drugs banned in India, NHP, drugs banned in sports, immunisation schedule, wherever necessary, are provided for information to readers.
- Special note on “How to use NFI?” and salient features of NFI are added in this edition.
- Only indications approved by the Indian drug regulator (CDSCO), clinically relevant and as per standard care, are included.
- The term ‘availability’ is now replaced with ‘dosage forms and usual strength.’
- Only the clinically relevant precautions and contraindications are included.
- The common or the serious and clinically relevant adverse effects are included.
- Storage conditions for medicines are included for special cases only.
- Chapter on medicines banned in sports in previous edition has been considered under appendices in this edition.
- Considering the prevalence of diabetes in the country, a separate chapter on management of diabetes is included after revising completely.
- New appendix on Good Distribution Practices is incorporated.
- Appendix on National Immunization Schedule and IAP Immunization Schedule is revised as per the current schedule.
For informative videos by The Health Master, click on the below YouTube icon: