Last Updated on October 3, 2021 by The Health Master
8 Best Oils for Healthy Hair: Tips for their application
Massaging oil on hair is an age-old practice. Our great grandmothers used to do it on our grandmothers, she used to do it on our mothers & our mothers used to do it on us & so on. In India Oiling hair has an emotional value attached to it.
Massaging oil to hair is also known as ‘Champi’. My mother used to say “A good Head massage with warm oils makes your hair stronger & shinier”. Benefits of applying oil to your hair are:
Benefits of applying oil to your Hair
- It keeps the scalp hydrated by creating protective barrier for water loss.
- It stimulates Hair Follicles which promotes Hair Growth.
- Strengthens Hair Shaft and increases its elasticity.
- Maintains Healthy scalp that prevents Dandruff.
- Offers Shine and strength to hair.
- Avoids Premature Greying.
- Prevents Hair Fall with healthy scalp and follicles.
- Stress Relief by improving blood circulation through pressure points.
8 Best Oils for Healthy hair
1. Argan oil – It is also called “liquid gold” due to its deep golden colour. This oil is rich in antioxidants and vitamins. It makes hair healthy and best oil to promote rapid hair growth. It makes hair stronger from root till end.
2. Almond Oil – It is rich in vitamins, biotin that helps to keep hair healthy and strong. It protects hair from damage caused due to harmful sunrays. It is a very light oil and non-greasy at all so can be used on all hair types. Massaging almond oil on your scalp increases blood flow and prevents scalp from oxidative damage as it has antioxidants.
3. Coconut Oil – it is rich in lauric acid & has nourishing properties. Coconut oil is full of vitamins and necessary fatty acids. It nourishes the scalp and helps to remove build-up of sebum from hair follicles. Coconut oil absorbs into your hair quickly & makes them healthy, long & shiny.
4. Sea Buckthorn oil – the regenerative properties of sea buckthorn oil help to restore elasticity, which is necessary to give your hair body, bounce and curl retention. It also gives texture to rough and coarse & makes them smoother and more manageable. Folates and biotin in this oil contributes to stronger hair follicles that controls hair loss, delays greying of hair and loss of texture.
5. Borage oil – Borage oil is also known as starflower, is mainly grown in Mediterranean region. It is the highest known plant-based source of Gamma Linoleic Acid (GLA) & Omega-6 that helps to promote healthy & strong hair. It stimulates active follicles for growth of new hair.
6. Castor Oil – It lubricates the hair shaft & repairs cuticles. It increases elasticity and Strength of hair. Castor oil helps eliminating dandruff as it solves the problem of dry, flaky & irritated scalp.
7. Amla oil – It is high in vitamin C and natural antioxidants known as flavonoids and polyphenols. It reduces premature hair greying & stimulates hair growth & reduce hair loss. Amla oil makes hair shinier, healthier & longer. Amla oil is a rich source of 5-alpha reductase which is used to treat male and female alopecia (Baldness).
8. Black Seed Oil – This is also known as ‘Nigella sativa’ or ‘Kalonji’ has high concentration of thymoquinone & linoleic acid that prevents the reduction of pigment cells in hair follicles. It rejuvenates hair follicles, and slows down or sometimes also reverses the process of greying.
OTHER OILS – there are several oils that provides several benefits to hair. They can be mixed with above mentioned oils in less percentage as they are high concentrated oils. Due their numerous benefits they should be added with any other carrier oils. They are –
Curry Leaf Essential Oil, Rosemary Essential Oil, Rosehip oil, Jatamansi oil, Brahmi oil, Lavender Essential Oil, Celery Oil, Ashwagandha Oil, Carrot Seed oil, Neem Oil & Lemongrass Essential Oil.
Tips for Healthy Oiling
- Applying oil every day on your hair for too long can clog pores& follicles which causes dandruff.
- Wash your hair with shampoo every time after oil your hair.
- Ideally a person should apply Hair oil once or twice a week.
- Do not skip oiling your hair as this has several benefits. Leave it on for minimum two hours or overnight for dry frizzy hair.
- Do not comb your hair just after oiling as massaging oil on your scalp makes the hair roots delicate for some time. Combing immediately after that can break your hair from your scalp.
- Applying excess oil can clog pores on your scalp which may blocks pores & you may experience rapid hair loss.
- Massage using tips of your fingers using circular motions. Do not use finger nails as it will damage the scalp.
- While applying oil on hair length hold your hair & use sweep motions moving your palms from upward to downward direction. Do not rub your hair length with palm, it will lead to split ends.
- Make a mixture of several oils rather than using single oil (Look down for a DIY for healthy Hair).
DIY Hair Oil for Healthy Hair
1 cup Almond oil
1 cup Coconut oil
½ cup Castor Oil
½ cup Borage Oil
1 spoon Amla oil
1 spoon Sea buckthorn Oil
3 drops Lemongrass Oil
3 drops Lavender Oil
2 drops Curry leaf Oil
Lipids are really very important in making the hair strong and healthy. They also help in maintaining the sheen and lustre of hair. So, don’t forget to oil your hair and pamper them with a dip in nourishing oils.
By NIDHI GUDWANI
Author is CEO at SKINAYU ORGANICS